Running a country house
Country houses offer a unique lifestyle and quality of life, but they also require care and attention, with each bringing its own property management challenges, particularly for the non-resident owner. These range from complex security, environmental legislation, staffing and building maintenance issues to farm tenancy negotiations where agricultural land is included. This is where we come in.
Why Knight Frank?
One of the oldest property management companies, we have been managing some of the UK’s finest country houses for over 100 years. Our property management specialists understand the complexities and nuances of these quintessentially British properties as well as the varying requirements and aspirations of their owners
We work with trusted suppliers and contractors as well as across Knight Frank departments, offering complementary expertise including mapping, renewable energy, building consultancy and transactions. Our goal is to facilitate country house ownership so that you can enjoy all it has to offer.
Who we work for
We work with country house and small estates owners, but our expertise is particularly valued by offshore trust companies and high-net worth individuals, non-residents and those based abroad who need total confidence that the day-to-day management of their property is in safe hands.
How we can help
- Strategic advice – we advise on ownership structures and long-term estate planning
- Administration – we can set up accounts, arrange insurance and source the most appropriate utility suppliers
- Staff – we assist with recruitment, payroll and management issues for all types of staff.
- Security we advise on security strategies, installation and personnel.
- Building issues – we advise on maintenance, renovations, improvements and planning issues
- Agriculture – we negotiate or renew farm tenancies, help with in-hand farming or source local contractors.
- Country sports- we advise on the establishment and running of shoots and other field sports.
- Boundaries and rights of way – we advise on disputes and public access issues, including moving rights of way.