Thropton, Morpeth, Northumberland, NE65
Grade II listed country house in a phenomenal position
Trewhitt Hall is beautifully symmetrical house of great presence, yet comfortable and easily managed. Neither too big nor too small, it is the perfect family country house. Productive farm and pheasant shoot also available. In all about 36.64 acres. Trewhitt Hall is set in a phenomenal position above Coquetdale, enjoying one of the most enviable views in the UK. Built in 1805 for Mr John Smart, an eminent antiquary, justice of the peace and Deputy Lieutenant of Northumberland, it is a comfortable house, well suited for family life but with excellent entertaining spaces. The house has five reception rooms. The drawing room and dining room retain many original Georgian features. In addition there is a billiard room, study, conservatory, an excellent kitchen/breakfast/sitting room and various domestic rooms. The bedrooms, situated on the first floor, include a south facing, master bedroom suite, five further bedrooms, two bathrooms and a shower room. The second floor, once used for servants, is used for storage but could be converted to provide further accommodation. Various outbuildings, stores and loose boxes are situated in the courtyard, as well as a two bedroom cottage, currently used as staff accommodation. An attractive two bedroom lodge house, situated at the head of the drive, is unoccupied and requires some refurbishment. Trewhitt Hall is surrounded on all sides by a variety of beautiful gardens including a hard tennis court and a walled garden. At the eastern end of the walled garden there is an all-weather horse manège. Around 17 acres of mature trees surround the property with woodland walks running through them, taking advantage of the incredible views. There are about 15.47 acres of grass paddocks.