Property available in Cheltenham
Whether you are looking for a luxury apartment in Cheltenham town centre, a classic town house or country home, Knight Frank in Cheltenham, alongside our Cirencester office, offer a seamless service to both buyers and sellers throughout the Cotswolds.
Originally an Anglo Saxon settlement, Cheltenham takes its name from the small river Chelt, which rises nearby at Dowdeswell and runs through the town.
In 1716, in a meadow outside the town, pigeons were found to be pecking at what turned out to be salt crystals at a spring. This find led to the establishment of the town as a Spa but the event which ensured the success of Cheltenham was the visit of George III in 1788 to treat his infirmities.
Although Cheltenham's popularity as a spa town waned, the town itself continued to prosper, due more to the efforts of a growing band of fine craftsmen, than the 'fashionable set'.
Horse racing began in Cheltenham in 1815, and became a major national attraction after the establishment of the Cheltenham Festival in 1902.
After the Second World War, the town's fortunes picked up again with the establishment of the Government Communications Headquarters (G.C.H.Q) which has become one of the West's most important secret surveillance centres.
Getting to Cheltenham
- A40 for Oxford and onto the M40 to London
- M5 North and South for Bristol and Birmingham
- A417 South to Swindon for the M4 corridor
There are regular train services to London and other major cities from Cheltenham Spa, Kemble and Swindon.
- Cheltenham Spa – London: Frequent trains taking approximately 2 hours 20 minutes
- Kemble – London: Frequent trains taking approximately 1 hour 30 minutes
- Swindon – London: Frequent trains taking approximately 1 hour
- Cheltenham Spa – Birmingham New Street: Frequent trains taking approximately 40 minutes
- Cheltenham Spa – Bristol: Frequent trains taking approximately 1 hour
- Heathrow Airport – approximately 2 hours
- Birmingham Airport – approximately 50 minutes
- Bristol Airport – approximately 1 hour 15 minutes