Living in Bishop's Stortford
Many of our Bishop's Stortford agents have lived in and around Bishop's Stortford for a number of years. Knight Frank Bishop's Stortford is well placed to advise you on where and what to buy while providing valuable insight into what it's like to live in Bishop's Stortford and the surrounding areas.
Bishop’s Stortford area guide
The historic market town of Bishop’s Stortford is situated on the county boundary of Hertfordshire and Essex, north of London, it is a vibrant residential and cultural centre and the surrounding area, the first patch of 'real countryside' is renowned for its picturesque villages and verdant landscape.
There is a mix of people in the area from those who have been schooled there and now work in the area to those moving out of London looking for the country life, yet still staying within close proximity to London.
The town benefits from a number of independent shops, cafes, bars and restaurants and there are several gastro-pubs and hotels in the surrounding villages. There is also a traditional market on a Thursday and a Saturday in the centre of town.
Places of interest
- Rhodes Arts Complex
- Audley End House and miniature railway
- Hatfield Forest
- Duxford Air Museum
- The Henry Moore Foundation
- East Hertfordshire District Council – 01279 655266
- Uttlesford District Council - 01799 510510
- Epping Forest District Council - 01992 564000
In Bishop’s Stortford:
- Bishop’s Stortford College
- Bishop’s Stortford High School
- St Mary’s Catholic School
- Hertfordshire and Essex High School and Science College
- Hockerill Anglo-European College
- St Edmunds
- Heath Mount
- Roads – M11 Jct 8, M25 Jct 27, A120
- Rail – Frequent trains from Bishop’s Stortford to London Liverpool Street - 38 mins
- Air – Stansted airport 4 miles and Luton airport 38 miles
- Taxi - Bishop’s Stortford taxis – 01279 550010