The name Belsize Park comes from the French bel assis meaning ‘well situated’ which sums up the area’s geographical position. Comfortably cushioned between Primrose Hill and Hampstead, Belsize Park lies within the borough of Camden, North West London.
The Stucco architecture, the green spaces of Primrose Hill and Hampstead Heath along with the beautifully tree lined and local shopping districts, (Englands Lane, Haverstock Hill, Steeles Village and Belsize Village) make this an attractive area for families and single professionals alike.
Belsize Park offers a wonderful bohemian village atmosphere, with many cafes, bakeries, pubs, small shops, restaurants and a strong sense of community. The proximity to the city (Belsize Park to Moorgate Station in 15 minutes) only adds to the many reasons that this is such a desirable area.
Places of Interest
- The many restaurants, pubs and cafés along Haverstock Hill and England's Lane and Steeles Village and Belsize Village
- Freud Museum - A museum dedicated to Sigmund Freud, who lived there with his family during the last year of his life
- Everyman Cinema Refurbished single screen cinema, with cafe, bar and leather seats
- Primrose Hill Park One of London’s finest.
- Hampstead Heath Open green spaces, swimming ponds and city views;
- Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre state-of-the-art gym and a wide range of aerobics classes with over 100 running per week. The centre has a 25 metre, 8 lane swimming pool and a children’s pool
- Hampstead Theatre located in the surrounding area of Swiss Cottage and Belsize Park it specialises in commissioning and producing new writing, supporting and developing the work of new writers
- Farmers Market Every Wednesday 10am -3pm, Located on Eton Avenue, Belsize Park NW3 3EU
- Odeon Cinema Swiss Cottage
- Belsize library is one of London’s new breed of libraries run by the local community on Antrim Road.
London Borough of Camden
Camden Town Hall
020 7278 4444
- Rosary RC Roman Catholic Primary School, 238 Haverstock Hill NW3 2AE.
- St Christopher’s School Independent Primary School, 32 Belsize Lane, NW3 5AE
- Sarum Hall –Independent Prep school 15 Eton Avenue NW3 3EL
- Hampstead Hill School Independent Pre prep and Nursery, St Stephens Hall, Pond Street NW3 2PP
- Royal School Hampstead 65 Rosslyn Hill, NW3 5UD
- Fine Arts College Centre Studios London NW3 4YD
- Haverstock Secondary State School, 24 Haverstock Hill NW3 2BQ
- The Hall – Junior School, 69 Belsize Park. Senior/middle 23 Crossfield Road NW3 4NU
- South Hampstead High School, Maresfield Gardens NW3 5SS
- Lycee Kentish Town 87 Holmes Road, Camden Town, London NW5 3AX
- Belsize Park Zone 2 on the Northern line >> Tottenham Court Road in 13 minutes, Moorgate in 14 minutes Swiss Cottage Zone 2 on the Jubilee line
- Over ground services from Finchley Road & Frognal, West Hampstead, South Hampstead and Hampstead Thameslink
- London City Airport by underground and DLR in less than 45 minutes
- Buses 46, 168, C11, 24 and the 268 heading into central London
- N5 has a 24-hour service to Trafalgar Square in one direction and Edgware Road in the other.
Belsize Park History
Belsize manor was left to Westminster Abbey by Sir Roger le Brabazon in the 14th century. Daniel Tidey was responsible for much of the development of Belsize between 1850 and 1870 from which point it became known as Belsize Park.
Eton College owned much of Primrose Hill and part of this history can be seen in the street names to this day.
Belsize Park was also the home of Karl Marx a famous German philosopher who previously inhabited Maitland Park Road NW3.
The tube station of Belsize Park is one of only eight to possess a deep level air raid shelter built in the Second World War.
There are three key focal points in the Village; Englands Lane, Haverstock Hill and Belsize Village that were created in the 30 years following on from the Second World War.
Properties in Belsize Park NW3
The area is characterised by beautiful stucco fronted houses with excellent ceiling heights and volumes. Unlike much of the surrounding area the houses and flats here also tend to possess sizeable gardens which makes it incredibly attractive to families.
The properties in this area also tend to have excellent footprints meaning that lateral space is offered in abundance.