Basingstoke and Hampshire area guide
It is often said that North East Hampshire is the first true countryside you reach when travelling on the train from London. This has made it a hotbed for commuters over the years wanting to experience rural living but still requiring to commute to London within an hour. Bordering the counties of Berkshire and Surrey, there are many vibrant commercial centres within the region, including Basingstoke, Farnham, Newbury and Reading.
With over 90% of the area classified as rural, there are many areas of outstanding natural beauty, including the Candover Valley, North Wessex Downs and Watership Down. The regional centre for the area is Basingstoke. From its original conception as an overspill town in the 1960s, it has developed into a vibrant commercial centre, which includes an award-winning retail destination in Festival Place.
Cultural, sporting and recreational needs are well served and includes The Anvil Concert Hall, one of the top five concert halls in the UK, Haymarket Theatre, Willis Museum and Leisure Park, which includes Planet Ice ice rink, the home of the Basingstoke Bisons, the local ice hockey team.
Properties within the area are highly desirable and it is easy to see why, with year round attractions, modern sporting facilities, excellent transport communications, a range of high achieving schools and attractive country villages, this is a beautiful part of North East Hampshire.
Property available in Hampshire
Whether you are looking for the archetypal thatched country cottage, a magnificent country estate in glorious grounds or state of the art family homes, Knight Frank can find the property that's right for you.
Basingstoke’s local history dates back to a Roman and Iron Age heritage which can be seen at Calleva Atrebatum, Silchester, with its well-preserved defensive walls. The parish church of St Michael in Basingstoke is mentioned in the Domesday Book and in 1214 a royal charter was granted for market day to be fixed on every Wednesday, as it remains to this day.
Excellent schooling in the area includes:
Preparatory (inc Pre-prep):
- Daneshill, Stratfield Turgis
- Cheam, Headley, Newbury
- The Grey House, Hartley Wintney
- St Neots, Eversley
- Elstree, Woolhampton
- St Gabriels, Newbury
- Sherfield School, Sherfield-on-Loddon
- Lord Wandsworth College, Long Sutton
- Bradfield College, Bradfield
- Downe House, Cold Ash
- Wellington College, Crowthorne
- St Swithun’s, Winchester
- The Barn, Wootton St Lawrence
- The Children’s House, Baughurst
- Little Crickets, Herriard
- Heather Rabbits, Nately Scures
- West Green Nursery, Hartley Wintney
State schools – details from:
- Hampshire Education Authority
- West Berkshire Education Authority
Bars and restaurants
- The Grapevine, Odiham (Bistro)
- Bartons Mill, Old Basing (Restaurant)
- The Red House, Whitchurch (Restaurant)
- The Wellington Arms, Baughurst (Restaurant)
- L’Ortolan, Shinfield (Restaurant)
Theatres and cinemas
- The Anvil Concert Hall, Basingstoke
- Haymarket Theatre, Basingstoke
- Vue Cinema, Basingstoke
- North & Mid Hampshire Health Authority
- Berkshire Health Authority